So this past weekend I did two things I have never done before:
- I attended my first book signing, and
- I attended my very first conference.
And yes, it was amazing as it sounds.
I attended the New England Chapter of RWA’s annual conference held in Burlington and attended a Friday evening book signing with over 50 other authors including the incomparable Beverly Jenkins.
- Me fangirling over Beverly Jenkins at her book signing table with my husband giving me major side-eye and then, not two seconds later, another woman going apeshit as she sees Beverly and me getting to gloriously hold my head up high and tell my husband, “See, she is a big deal!”
- My mother hanging out with Beverly and then Beverly telling me to tell my mom “hi” the next day
- Awesome conference workshops on SEO, a kick-ass marketing session by Sarina Bowen and an insightful session led by Olivia Dade on “Big Love: Fat Representation in Romance “
- A poignant and emotional address by Skye Warren on “dangerous” books and really, the dangerous women who write them. Such an important recognition of the challenges faced by women authors who write fiction geared toward woman: us merely existing is an act of rebellion in itself. She spoke so beautifully and I have her Endgame series in my TBR.
- Meeting so many other amazing authors doing incredible things, like my table signing partner, Kilby Blades (seriously, keep an eye out for that girl, she is going places).
- My friend Rose Grey winning an award for her novel, Waiting on You.
- Having my FIRST organic sale from someone walking by my table and being like “Hey, I’ll buy your books” (yep, they bought BOTH!!)
- Having my parents and husband see me in my element and share how proud they are of me.
This past year has been absolute bananas. I registered this domain in September 2017 and from there, opened up my social media and started blogging about this crazy journey. And now, nine months later, and I am shmoozing with Beverly Jenkins (still can’t get over that one- I fell in love with her when I decided to become a romance author and watched Love Between the Covers) and handing out actual business cards and selling actual books. It’s surreal.
I had such an incredible time and am so excited for next year’s conference. In the mean time? I’ll be writing away.
Sign up for my mailing list and get exclusive updates!